Packing for your HCF Guided Fishing Trip
In addition to any personal fishing gear you care to bring, we advise bringing the following items on all guided fishing trips.
Highly Recommended/Essential Equipment:
- Polarized sunglasses (for cutting glare on the water, and for eye protection)
- Fishin’ hat (as much for protection from wayward flies as for sun)
- Sunscreen (at least 40 SPF) and lip balm
- Lightweight rain jacket (and pants if you have them)
- Extra warm clothing (wool and/or fleece work best)
- Water bottle
- Synthetic, quick-dry clothing is preferable to cotton
Other useful items include:
- River sandals (for warm days)
- Fingerless gloves (for sun and/or warmth)
- Long-sleeved, synthetic shirt for sun/bug protection
- Buff (or bandana) for protecting neck from the sun
- A bandana (or even better – a lens cloth) can also be really helpful for cleaning sunglasses throughout the day
- A joke for your guide
Fishing at high altitude where the ozone is thinner, and with water reflecting additional UV, results in a double-dose of intense sun exposure. Plan accordingly, especially if you have fair skin, and don’t assume that just because you come from a warm, southern climate that you’ll be fine on a sunny day on the river at 6000′ in the Rockies – trust us, it’s a different deal up here. Sunglasses and hat are essential basics for sun protection, to protect the eyes and head from hooks, to help you see fish better, and make your day just a lot more pleasant. Long sleeves and pants help too.
Unpredictable mountain weather can change faster than a politician’s policy position following the latest opinion poll. Though you may be able to start the day in shorts and T-shirt, never assume you will be able to finish the day in the same attire. Always bring cool/wet weather gear.
Note – studded/cleated wading shoes are not appropriate for driftboat fishing. They can be extremely slippery in a fiberglass-bottomed boat, and can damage the boat as well. If you only own studded wading boots, let us know and we will be happy to provide you with a non-studded pair to use for the day at no additional charge.